Sunday 22 May 2016

Crazy Wool Scarf

I've seen a lot of scarves made in the "crazy wool" technique recently - on Facebook and forums. I've made one myself, using pencil roving, some yarn, a bit of viscose and silk fibres and VERY thin layer of fine merino. The weight is 64g, it's 165cm long and 38 cm wide.

It looked underfelted to me and I worked with it some more. I wanted it to become narrow as a scarf not as a wrap. Now it's 162 cm long and 32 cm wide.
In both pairs of pictures the top one is original and the bottom one is after additional felting. Not much difference on the pictures but the feel of the scarf changed - it become more substantial, like proper scarf and extra delicacy's gone. Do I like it more now - there is a question... 








     




6 comments:

  1. Hard to tell from the photos but it still has the lovely lacey effect. I'm sure it will be better for wearing since the softer version might not have worn well over the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I can't tell the difference myself but I do feel more confident that it's a proper felted piece!

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful Galina, like Ruth, I agree it will be much less likely to pill after the extra fulling and it doesn't appear to have lost any of its drapy quality. I think you got it just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teri! I've ordered more of this roving, want to make more of these scarves.

      Delete
  3. It looks really nice, Galina :) I love the colours too, the darker side reminds me of sodalite mineral and the other of aquamarine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very exquisite and sophisticated! Are you in geology by any chance :)? Thank you Zed, at first I just wanted to try but I like it very much now! You never know...

      Delete